Santa at Adam Miller 180
News Tips
  
10

 

The State Street woman who perished when fire swept her home, had a history of smoking while using medically prescribed oxygen.
57-year-old Mary Pawlukiewicz died early last evening when oxygen fueled flames raced through her first floor apartment where she lived alone.
A young family from across the hall managed to escape the fire and explosions that that extensively damaged the three-unit apartment building at 132 State Street.
This morning, Batavia Police Detective Richard Schuaf talked about previous incidents involving Mary Pawlukiewicz and her smoking
 
Fire officials cannot say for certain that careless smoking caused the deadly blaze, but Batavia Fire Department Captain Pat O’Donnell says fire and oxygen are a dangerous combination
 
Melissa Rigliano and her three young children lived in the apartment next door to Mrs. Pawlukiewicz.
 
Officials said Mrs. Pawlukiewicz used a motorized wheel chair to get around, but could walk when necessary.
 
A third apartment in the building was located on the second floor. Its occupant was not at home at the time of the fire.
Fire did rescue a pet python snake and a hamster from the Rigliano apartment
 

The Red Cross is assisting those left homeless by the blaze. Officials said the building, for the time being, is uninhabitable.

Actions: E-mail | Comments (0) RSS comment feed | Bookmark and Share

Comments

There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)

Enter the code shown above:

KenBarrett
Tipline
Sterling Tents
AFC
  |  Login