posted on March 12, 2010 13:04
A 21-month old Batavia boy, visiting his father in Elmira last November, was poisoned and police have charged his stepmother.
Andrew J. Cianfrini died on November 10th last year from methanol poisoning. Methanol is a substance found in anti-freeze and window washer fluid.
Details of the case emerged from Elmira late yesterday with the arrest of 24 year-old Melissa Englehardt. She has been charged with first-degree manslaughter.
Andrew Cianfrini was born in Batavia, the son of George Englehardt and Kristen Cianfrini.
The couple separated and George relocated to Elmira and moved in with Elglehardt.
Sources in Elmira tell WBTA News that Englehardt placed the Methanol substance in the child’s sippy cup a day or two before he died. Englehardt is in the Chemung County jail without bail.
PHOTO: Melissa Engeldardt