News Tips
  
05

A family is homeless following a destructive house fire that erupted this morning.

Authorities responded to a structure fire before 10:30 on Route 20, or Telephone Road.

Several fire companies from Genesee, Livingston and Wyoming Counties responded. The fire was reported at 8029 Telephone Road.

Early reports from the scene indicated the house was fully-engulfed in flame.

“The only problem would have been how much of a start the fire would have had on us by the time we got here," Pavilion Fire Chief Paul Dougherty said. "By the time we did get here, there was fire coming out of almost every door and window, top and bottom floor.”

Officials say all occupants -- the father, Jessie Rosenbaum, 26, and four children -- are accounted for and safe. The fire is believed to have started when a child accidentally knocked over a kerosene heater on the first floor. The father got the kids out of a window on the second floor, then jumped out, injuring his back.

“They were very lucky to get out given the fact they ran to the second floor, first," Chief Dougherty said. "They could have easily been trapped on the second floor.”

Rosenbaum's injuries are not believed to be serious. He was taken by ambulance to UMMC for evaluation. After exiting the window, Rosenbaum lowered his children onto the ground to safety.

Crews have worked this afternoon to take down the structure. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

Actions: E-mail | Comments (0) RSS comment feed | Bookmark and Share

Comments

There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)

Enter the code shown above:

KenBarrett
Tipline
AFC
  |  Login