After getting short changed in the gaming agreement reached late last week between the Seneca Nation and New York, the owners of racinos are feeling more satisfied around following the passage of a new casino bill.
Michael Kane, President of Batavia Downs, was apprehensive following the Seneca agreement that halted the facility’s use of the words “casino” and “slot machine.” Now he says the new legislation “will allow us to continue providing good paying jobs and generating significant funding for schools and our municipalities.”
The approved bill would provide tax parity for racinos if a new Las Vegas-style casino is put in their area.
He says that Governor Cuomo and the legislature “recognize the significant contributions made by racetrack casinos I Western New York to state education and job creation.”
YWCA's Market on North Street and New Summer Adventure Program to Begin this Weekend
The YWCA will be a busy place this summer with the start of this year’s Market at North Street and its new Summer Adventure Program for kids.
The Market at North Street opens tomorrow from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., with 15 vendors selling anything from fruits and vegetables to wines, meats, crafts and baked goods.
The market will be open every Sunday through September 29.
The YWCA is also starting their Summer Adventure Program, which offers kids opportunities for outdoor activities in their six-acre backyard and field trips to Genesee County parks and planetariums.
The kids will also get to work on their culinary skills in the facility’s commercial-grade kitchen and children’s garden.
A donation of $250 will allow one child to take advantage of 10 field trips offered during the program.
For more information about the Summer Adventure Program, call (585) 343-5808.
Arrest Warrant Prepared for Patriots Star Hernandez
An arrest warrant has been prepared by Massachusetts authorities for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.
Hernandez has been in question since the body of Odin Lloyd, a Boston semi-pro football player, was found dead near his home in North Attleborough, Massachusetts. A rental car in his name was seen near the scene of the crime.
The warrant was reportedly prepared after police discovered that the security system at Hernandez’s home, along with his cellphone, was destroyed.
Police had searched the home of the 23-year-old NFL star for a second time Thursday on a warrant after they had evidence that he had destroyed his home security system.
Investigators confirmed that the system was smashed intentionally and that Hernandez’s phone was handed over “in pieces” by his attorneys. Police are also inquiring as to why his mansion was scrubbed by cleaners on Monday.
Surveillance video from his neighborhood shows Hernandez with Lloyd and two other men just hours before his death. Video also shows the two together in Boston early Monday morning.