posted on November 13, 2013 11:24
News release from GCC:
Looking for a cash infusion just before the holidays? Have a flair for drawing, cartooning, visual design? Genesee Community College invites designers of all persuasions to submit ideas for updating and expanding the graphic look of the GCC Cougar mascot. The deadline for entries is December 2, 2013. First place winner receives $200 cash, with $50 going to the runner up.
The Cougar, affectionately and unofficially known as G-Dub (for G Double C), is in need of a 'facelift.' The College introduced a new logo in 2010 and is ready to update the Cougar's look. The competition is open to GCC art and design students, alumni, cartoon artists and all friends of GCC's Cougar.
• Develop original and carefully executed design concepts that expand GCC's Cougar image beyond what exists currently
• Provide one expanded head shot graphic
• Provide full-body, full-color mascot poses expressing two of the following themes:
- Cougar in athletic stance with aggressive, winning facial expression
- Cougar standing in a welcoming and cheerful manner
- Cougar professionally dressed and ready for the job market
- Cougar wearing graduation cap and holding a diploma
- Your original, creative idea
• Incorporate all of or parts of the GCC College logo and the College's Blue (Pantone 2945) and Gold (Pantone 117) color palette
• Include samples of previous work or a link to an online portfolio
Hand drawn paper designs will be accepted but electronic submissions are preferred and can be emailed to Christie (Hale) Shirk, Recruitment Publications and Communications specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org. Entrants must include full name, address, telephone number and email address. Submissions will not be returned. All entries become the property of GCC. Those who wish to mail in submissions can send them to:
GCC Office of Enrollment Management, Room B201
Genesee Community College
One College Road
Batavia, NY 14020
"We have a great digital arts program here at the College," said Shirk. "So we expect to receive outstanding entries from students. But we know the Cougar has a lot of fans in the community as well, so we wanted to welcome entries from everyone."
The College may hire the winning artist to develop complete Cougar Mascot schematics. "So the contest has immediate financial reward with the potential for additional economic benefits," said Donna Rae Sutherland, Associate Director of Marketing Communications. The contest is being sponsored by GCC's Marketing Communications and Admissions/Enrollment Management/Recruitment Departments.