News Tips
  
27

A fire yesterday displaces a family of three in the City of Batavia.

Dispatchers got a call near 1 p.m. Sunday about a structure fire with people possibly trapped at 33 Central at the property owned by Deborah Ruhland.

Smoke was coming from the home as crews arrived. Crews conducted multiple searches for the teenage daughter believed to be trapped on the second floor, but it turned out she wasn’t home and was found a short time later.

No injuries were reported.

Batavia Fire Chief Jim Maxwell says the fire started after a resident trying to make chicken wings left hot cooking oil unattended.

There was significant damage to the kitchen as well as an adjoining room. The damage tag was pegged at $22,000.

The three-member family has received help from the Red Cross.

“The Red Cross put them up temporarily, I think for three days, at one of the local hotels and then they’ll have to found housing from that point on,” Maxwell said. “The house is condemned due to the structural damage from the fire as well as some other code issues.”

 

Batavia crews were on scene for three hours.

Actions: E-mail | Comments (0) RSS comment feed | Bookmark and Share

Comments

There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)

Enter the code shown above:

KenBarrett
Tipline
Sterling Tents
AFC
  |  Login