posted on November 10, 2014 14:15
A pet dog perished this morning moments after alerting his owner to a fire that allowed him to safely escape.
The fire was reported at 7AM at 8 Wood Street in the city.
When Batavia firefighters arrived, they found the occupant of the upstairs apartment standing on the porch roof. Firemen performed a ladder rescue. The man was not identifed.
Officials said he had been sleeping but was alerted to the fire by his dog.
The dog was unable to escape.
The fire heavily damaged the second floor kitchen.
The occupant of a first floor apartment safely escaped on their own.
The cause of the fire is listed as accidenal. The damage estimate was placed at $35,000.
PHOTO: Retired City of Batavia Firefighter Frank Capuano