Auction Promo
News Tips
  
12
A boarding house for people trying to get their lives back together has gone up in flames. Eleven people have been made homeless.
The fire erupted yesterday afternoon at 433 E. Main Street.433 E. Main St., Batavia
The building contained two apartments and eight rooms. The tenants were mostly people recently released from jail.
Terry Platt is the landlord:
 
"It's not easy for them (tennants). They are walking out of there without shoes on on their feet. It's sad to see that happen. There are not that many rooming houses that take everybody. We try to help everybody and anybody we can"
 
 Photo Courtesy: The Batavian. More photos HERE
 
The building was 60-years-old and of balloon construction. This was a type of construction common at the time. The walls were open from the basement to the attic, allowing flames to spread easily. This type of construction is no longer used.
Joe Allegue was one of the tenants. He and his wife had to fight through thick smoke:
 
"Black smoke just billowed into our room and covered us. I open the door and started yelling to get everyone out. When we came outside, smoke was streaming out of the basement. Then I called 911."
 
The building was declared a total loss. The Salvation Army and the Red Cross are aiding those displaced.
Actions: E-mail | Comments (0) RSS comment feed | Bookmark and Share

Comments

There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.

Post Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)

Enter the code shown above:

KenBarrett
Tipline
Sterling Tents
AFC
  |  Login